Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Golf GTI

In accordance to disagree with any and everything David from Burn Out Reviews, and actually proving my point just to be a bitch about it, I decided I will test drive both the Volkswagen GTI 2.0T (MkV) and the Chevrolet Colbalt SS Which packs a 2.0T also. I will compare both cars, in various aspects, not just performance (but hey, might as well push the car, its just a test drive anyways).

I am a stubborn guy, and before I go into this, I will give my pre-test drive veredict: Golf GTI whoops little Cobalts butt.

The VW GTI:
The stats:
200 HP @6000RPM
207 Torque @1800RPM
Mileage: 21 city
31HighWay
Curb Weight: 3100lbs
Transmission: 6 speed Manual(Standard)
  6 speed DSG (Dual clutch sequential manual/Automatic)(Optional)
Base Price: $23,230 (Esserman Volkswagen)
Cargo Space: 15.1 Cubic feet
0-100Km(62MPH):7.2s 6 speed manual
    6.9s DSG 6 Speed


Test Drive: I took the GTI for a quick drive today at Esserman. My first impression was that the car held a lot of power under the hood. And I know it does, because it hides a 2.0l turbo charged in line 4 cylinder under it, and let me tell you, German engineers put that to good use.

The great thing about this car is that it takes no time at all to get used to it. It is a remarkably nimble and fun-to-drive car, the independent suspension isn't too rigit but it isn't too soft either. Steering the car is almost seemless due to the Electro-mechanic steering, and the car has a quick response time. There is almost no lag, and shifting comes naturally. The car offers a great rumble when the throttle is pressed, and the clutch is fine tuned so its not too heavy or too light.
Car lifting wasn't a big deal once you got used to the car, and the great thing about this car is the Gs it can pull in curves.

This car feels like its made for a track. I wouldn't say this if I didn't mean it, but it really does.  This car doesn't have the tendency to oversteer or understeer too much, which is basically awesome for when you're driving performance. The break and throttle are placed near each other to allow for better heel and toe performance driving, and the car is quick to pick up speed if you want to, even at third or fourth gear. The car also responds very well to drifting out in curves, as i was able to control the drift of the car with my left hand (which is injured) easily.

This car also offers an excellent list of optionals, but honestly, I don't care. It's good as it is. Those are only amenities that will weight down the car and distract you from driving it. And that sucks.

Now for the Chevy Cobalt SS
The stats:
HP 260@5300RPM
Torque 260@2000RPM
Mileage: 22 City
30 Highway
Curb Weight: 2975lbs
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
  4 speed Automatic
Base Price:$23,425
Cargo Space:13.9 Cubic feet
0-100Km(62MPH):5.9s 5 Speed manual

(I will test drive this car Sunday, Post comments then)

EDIT: Test drive post poned until i can get my hands on a 1SS, going through test drive scheduling right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment