Thursday, April 16, 2009

In Other News...

While reading Times Magazine, which I subscribe to (Take a note ladies, I have good rhetoric, I'm good looking, AND smart, ignore the cynicism please), I came across an article about how the United States could not lose in Afghanistan. Being the genius political analyst and war strategist that I am, I did not bother to read it, however, I looked at the picture, and realized something possibly lifechanging: Holy crap Afghanistan is not just a desert. Shocking, I know. All depictions I've had of this country were lies. Time to sue Charlie Wilson. Or Tom Hanks.... Ok lets settle for Julia Roberts. No one likes her anyways.

This bring up many questions in my head. Like, if Afghanistan is not a crappy desert, does this mean India and Pakistan had been fighting for Kashmir because it's actually a pretty place? So I investigated and discovered ANOTHER amazing revelation: Pakistan is also not a desert! In fact it looks hell of pretty. This means America might not be the only place which is NOT a desert in the world. In fact I looked it up and there's a desert here, so it might actually be the other way around, I don't know. Ok but seriously, I did realize there are other places with beauty in the world (See, that's why I told you to ignore the cynicism), but in a way, Afghanistan has never been portrayed as a place of beauty. No Middle Eastern country has, and maybe that is only because of the fact that they are displayed negatively to western countries.

The media has a huge control over how we think of our own world. It is scary to know that you can fall prey to this control, caught unaware. I've always wanted to travel the world, but to be honest, I had no curiosity about Afghanistan. Now, more then ever, I want to visit those locations in the world no one even knows about. So I bought a NEW book (which makes it 8 books I'm reading right now, once again ladies, take note). This Australian dude travels to these random locations not even he knows the name, the least pronouncable the name the better, and has crazy adventures there not knowing where the bloody hell he is. Although he's Australian and can survie anything, scientifically proven, and so far so good.

Now why the hell did I buy this book? Because 1, I can, 2 I wanted to, and 3, I plan on seeing the world one day. The REAL world, not the made up one everyone knows about like Disneyland, Paris' sewers (French people don't shower or use the bathroom, of course its fake, DUH), and the Brazilian congress (I'm pretty sure its just a warehouse to stuff the huge piles of money our government makes running drugs). I want to see the REAL world, the one where you meet people from those cultures, learn the language, and immerse your self in it. The least commercialized, the most exciting, the real, the dangerous. Life is short, so why not?

Try reading THAT bunch of Nonsense, Stoklosa. It doesn't even follow a rational patter.

-I win.

1 comment:

  1. Thankfully my reading comprehension is "okay." And I am quite adept at labeling and omitting the crap from the actual content.

    ReplyDelete